Thursday, December 6, 2007

South Sudan Flight Intrigues

South Sudan Flight Intrigues
Oh… What a ride talk of delays, getting marooned in airports, cancellations, unexpected detours …man! it was one heck of a ride.
I started off from Nairobi, on a flight that took me about an hour and fifteen minutes, landed safely at the capital city of South Sudan- Juba. This was my temporary abode for a couple of days before I embarked on a series of travels that saw me traverse much of Southern Sudan. Been the organized person I am… I thought I should draw up an itinerary and plan for my travels. This turned out to be a bad idea. I lost close to a week (as per my well drawn out schedule)… all my anticipated travel time, my projections of when I’ll be done with my work, of course with some allowance of a day or two, all that and more was dashed, completely gone in the wind! The simple reason: flights out here are erratic; as much as they have a well outlined schedule, adhering to it is another story all together. That was a bitter pill I had to swallow; take each day at a time and more so moderate my over zealous expectations. A lesson well learned and fully internalized.
I did finally see myself out of Juba and headed out to my next destination – Pagak. This is a far away outpost on the North Eastern part of South Sudan. To get there I left Juba, mid-morning aboard the DC-9 -32, a twin engine single-aisle jet airliner, on a 50min flight to Rumbek. From there I got onto another connecting flight, this time aboard a lighter aircraft, heading to Nasir –a 30min detour which I wasn’t informed of in advance (aggrrhh….Not Again!). This was supposed to be a direct flight from Rumbek-Pagak …anyways I enjoyed the view from above and endured an extra 30minute of flying. The landing was smooth on a dirt airstrip, finally announcing my arrival to my designated destination- Pagak.
More on …next wk
Sight and Scenes of My Travels…..Enjoy!
Pagak Trading Centre
Remnants of War
Your's Truly getting some love from my beautiful Japanese and Sudanese Friends

4 comments:

Sultry said...

I Love it. This is great. Envy you and your travels.

Lemeria said...

Wow, this is amazing. Lets do this when you come down next. Lots has changed and there are new hot spots just by Hai- Malakal.

Unknown said...

Andy! I feel for you man. I see you now know how to "make" fun rather than enjoying.

Do not forget to come back home.

Unknown said...

MT..you should not have come back!
I love the place.